Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A new year ....a new blog and some Salmon Chowder

I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I want for the new year. I want simple things, to spend more time with my family, to save money, to eat healthier, to expand my cooking skills.  I can do all of that by making dinner for my family every day.  It seems a bit daunting right now....365 days....all in the kitchen. I'll forgive myself if I miss a day here and there. If anyone starts reading  this blog the fear of public humliation will help keep me in the kitchen anyway.

I am sure the days will fly by and I'll have a really neat blog cookbook to look back on at the end of next year.

Happy 2011!

I made this chowder the other day. We have been having a lot of wet, cold weather. Being from California I just don't know how to deal with it, other than to stay inside and make soup.

Salmon Chowder
1 (15 oz.) can salmon, drained and any bones/skin removed
1 lg. onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
4 carrots, sliced
2 (15 oz) cans creamed corn
Seasoning salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
1 (15 oz) can chicken broth, divided
½ tsp dill weed
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk

In a pot over low heat, mix together ½ C. broth with the onion, celery, green pepper, and garlic. Cook until vegetables are tender. Add remaining broth, potatoes, carrots, seasoning salt and dill. Cook over med. Heat 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes and carrots are tender. Add evaporated milk, creamed corn and salmon, gently stir. Season with pepper to taste. Serve when heated through.

6 comments:

  1. I think it's an ambitious goal and wish you the best of luck with your new venture. Just out of curiosity have you given thought to how you will handle travel?
    I've taken a crockpot to a hotel before, there was mini-fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't really travel. My big deal are days when we go to Disneyland. We have passes so we go quite often and we are usually gone all day long...I think that I may pack a cooler for the car and have dinner in the picnic area. It will save us a ton of money...the average dinner for our family is $100 at the park.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck and thanks for the chowder recipe! We've been having frosty weather ourselves. Here's a tip I used a lot this past fall semester: one night was "picnic" fare, even if we ate at home (deli sandwiches, chips, fruit)--took the burden off of cooking every night and still saved us money over going out! (and the fam loved it)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the tip. I'll be sure to use it I'm sure. We live in an area where the weather can be 110 degrees in the summer...an indoor picnic would be perfect then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great challenge for you! You might want to make some dinners for the freezer each month, for when you are sick or too busy to make dinner that night. Good luck! Happy New Year!



    -- Laura from Frugal Follies

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made it! I read ALLLLLLL the way through your entire blog! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Happy Homemaker Monday

  ♥♥ The Weather ♥♥     Monday  - High Wind Advisory-80  Tuesday  - 79 Wednesday  - 76 Thursday  -79 Friday  - 79 Saturday  - 82 Sunday  - 8...